Thursday, February 24, 2011

Blanchot

I was reading through some of the sections in "Plural Speech" (I didn't get to finish it all because I didn't have enough time), and I was really struck by how much one could relate Blanchot to Derrida. If any one else read through it, did you think there were similarities between Blanchot's ideas on speech/language and Derrida's ideas on language being "Differance"? Even if you didn't read it, there are copious parts in the Limit-Experience were Blanchot expresses similar thoughts. For instance, in the first section on Heraclitus, Blanchot says of Heraclitus' sentences, "Each sentence is a cosmos, a minutely calculated arrangement whose terms are relations of extreme tension, never indifferent to their place or figure, but rather disposed as though aiming at a secret Difference they do no more than indicated by showing, in the form of measure, the changes visible conversions of which the sentence is the isolated site" (87). Is it just me or is there a lot of Derrida or even Foucault in that statement? Certainly like Derrida, Blanchot repeatedly expresses concepts like "difference," "play," "deferment," and the like. I'm sure some of you noticed these similarities. I'm pretty sure I prefer Blanchot to Derrida, though.

Also, I see that Blanchot was born in 1907 and died in 2003. He practically lived the entire fucking century. Impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment